Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Yarn finishes and Mother's Day progress

I finished up a few yarn things this week. A pair of mittens for myself and a tiny fire hat for an order. I also started and made great progress on mother's day presents. One of them is finished and already in the mail the other is pretty close. I'll share what I can today and the rest later in the week. This is also the post to set my ALYoF goal and we'll start with that so it's easy to find.

My goal for May is to turn this lovely little bunch of fabric into a mini quilt top. I don't know if I can get it quilted as there are many other things on my list but I want at least the top done.

These mittens are #14 on my Q2FAL list. I'm excited to have them done but bummed that it took me so long. The day I finished them it was 80* outside - way too hot for mittens. They'll be ready for Winter though and they are so cute! The pattern is the Cozy Purl Ridge Mittens.

Isn't this tiny hat adorable?! This is the Newborn size Fire Hat and was a custom order from my shop. The buyer is starting up a photography business and I can't wait to see her pictures of a sweet little baby in it!

In 2012 I made this quilt for my mom. She asked for my leftovers to make pillows and stuff with. Fast forward a couple of years later and she has mailed the fabric back to me to do something with. Enter this fabulous Mother's Day present! These are the same blocks she has in her quilt. I'll show you the quilting, back, and binding later this week so it is still a surprise for her.

Being so active on Instagram I get sucked into a lot of awesome. One of which is the #farmgirlfridays with the new Farm Girl Vintage book. I got my book this week in the mail and picked out my fabric, all of it from stash - score! I hope to finish the first block and a little pin cushion before the next assignment is posted on Friday.

I saw this project in the book and thought it was perfect for my Mother-in-law. I'm nearly finished with the table runner and although the fabric is really not my style I'm loving this. The fabrics are all from my stash and totally her style. I will have to do it again in more modern prints.

Sheep are one of my favorite animals and I'm pretty in love with this. I am, however, annoyed at the quilting. I read somewhere that when quilting straight lines you're supposed to alternate what direction you go from. Well, I tried that, I'm sure you can see where, and it was super-annoying with the shifting. So then I went only from one side and it is so smooth. I really don't want to unpick all that quilting so we're going to call it texture and lesson learned.
Well, that's me for now. Thanks for stopping by. I'll be back later to share the completed Mother's Day projects and hopefully a pin cushion or two. Until then I'm linking up with WiP Wednesday.

7 comments:

  1. How cute is that fire hat?! I love it! The sheep are pretty darn cute too :-)
    What is the name of that darker blue fabric in your fabrics selected for a mini quilt? I've seen it around a bit, but never with a designer or name... I need some ;-)

    happy stitching ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute table runner and although those fabrics wouldn't be my favorites they are perfect in that piece. I love it and may have to buy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a walking foot for your machine will really eliminate the shifting....it has changed quilting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sheep in the bar is too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny you should mention the problems you had with the quilting. I've been told over and over again by more experienced quilters that you alternate the direction when quiltingg straight lines. But I've had nothing but problems when I do it that way. So now I do all my quilting using my walking foot in one direction for half the quilt and the other direction for the other half. Absolutely no problems that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the mittens - hope you remember where you put them when winter rolls round!

    *Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheer-leading squad*

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!